When someone has died it is often hard to know what to do. We are available for advice and support but there are certain practical steps you might like to know.
If someone dies at home
These are the things you will have to do:
(1) Telephone the doctor. They will visit to confirm that death has taken place and tell you how to obtain a death certificate.
(2) Contact a funeral director.
If someone dies in hospital
These are the things you will have to do
(1) Contact a funeral director to let them know that their services will be required.
(2) Collect the death certificate from the hospital.
In all cases of death
(1) Take the death certificate to the Registrars’ Office for the area in which the death took place. Also take the deceased’s medical card, if available, and birth certificate. The registrar will issue you with a green form.
(2) Take the green form to the funeral directors who will take over responsibility for arranging the funeral.